[WikiEN-l] Not a lynch mob

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 7 14:50:02 UTC 2004

Ed Poor wrote

>I object to the characterization of this mailing list, which I
administer, as having a "lynch mob" atmosphere. Lyching is literally an
extrajudicial killing, and while being blocked from editing Wikipedia
for a period of time may FEEL like death of a sort, there is certainly
nothing extra-judicial about this discussion.

>In fact, I brought the issue to mailing list rather than starting
"banning procedures" because I had hopes we could settle the matter
WITHOUT a ban. That why I carefully entitled my original post as "Can we
ban 172 now? And VV too!"

So the objection is to calling this 'procedure' of Ed's 'extra-judicial',
_because_ it was was deliberately chosen by him as outside the judicial
option?

Sorry, can't allow that through.  Even list admins have to make some sort of
basic logical sense.

Charles