[WikiEN-l] Can we ban 172 now? And VV too! (in response to Fred Bauder)

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Fri Jun 4 16:56:01 UTC 2004

Stan Shebs wrote:

> Fred Bauder wrote:
>
>> You stand convicted by your own words. This exerpt is an excellent
>> example,
>> no famines, no mass murder, no gulag, no deportations. And most
>> especially,
>> no failure to produce enough to adequately feed the Soviet people.
>>

> No, he explains it right there where it's the people's fault for
> having "poor
> worker productivity" even though the main agricultural areas had produced
> surpluses for export since ancient times.

I have to apologize for reacting to the quoted bit out of context; in
the next section of [[Economy of the Soviet Union]] the poor
productivity is indeed attributed to forced collectivization.
Interestingly, that section is so delicately phrased that the average
reader won't actually find out what happened; it just says "the human
toll was catastrophic", which could mean any number of things. There
are details about the famines in WP, I didn't see any links that
would explain "human toll" via connections to any of those articles.

Stan