[WikiEN-l] Ban policy

John Robinson john at freeq.com
Fri Jun 4 04:16:17 UTC 2004

I respect what the Arbitration Committee is trying to do, but I have
a distinct lack of respect about the way they're going about it.

User JRR Trollkien (who, it is increasingly clear, is either a
reincarnation of a previously permanently-banned user, or so close to
him as not to make a difference) was blocked by an administrator
before he had made 20 edits.  He has now racked up 1500, which will
someday have to be gone through, each one, in an effort to remove the
introduced crap, due in large part to the fact that it has taken:

a) over a month to even get the Arbitration Committee to accept this case;
b) two months and counting while it's been sitting in Arbitration
Committee being mulled over;
c) at least a month of which was caused by some sort of crazy
departure from the case itself ("JRR Trollkien is an offensive name".
Where did that come from? Why was that even put forth?)

The end effect of the Arbitration Committee so far is that virtually
no users have been blocked (with the notable exception of Wik, who
should have been blocked almost a *year* ago anyway). It would be an
understatement to say that I'm not pleased with current affairs.
Several other valuable users have left because of this.

The end effect is that serious contributors are leaving this place to
let the rest of us play with the trolls. All due to an apparent
distinct inability to use common sense.