[WikiEN-l] Viajero/Zero and Lance6 - POV terms

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 28 20:04:23 UTC 2004

Harry Smith wrote:

>with regard to calling an act murder.  The common
>definition of murder and the definition that appears
>in wikipedia is:
>
>Murder is the crime of intentionally causing the death
>of another human being, without lawful excuse.
>
>If we accept this definition, then we need to ask if
>the individuals that shot the boy had lawful excuse.
>>From the articles, the reason for the shooting is that
>the boy and his family opposed the attempt to use the
>family's property/land.  Does the family's refusal
>constitute lawful excuse for the shooting?
>
>If its does not constitute lawful excuse, the act is
>murder per the first line of the wikipedia entry on
>murder.
>
>My question is do we use the term murder for this
>shooting or do we change the wikipedia article on
>murder?

Perhaps we need to change the definition to add something like, "as
determined by a duly constituted tribunal."  The facts outlined above
could very well result in a determination that there was a murder, but
neither we nor our contributors are in a position to make the needed
interrogations that will lead to the truth.  It's not for us to decide.

>seems to be a question of wikipedia using its own
>definitions for words at wikipedia.
>
>is this type of internal consistency valuable?

Certainly, and I thank you for pointing out this inconsistency so that
the definition can be repaired.

>if it is not should we make that known?
>
>is using the term murder according to the wikipedia
>definition POV?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Lance6Wins
>
>ps. perhaps the shooter meant to wound rather than
>kill.  please repeat the above substituting
>manslaugter for murder.

The only difference between murder and attempted murder is the ability
to shoot straight. :-)

Ec