[WikiEN-l] Re: Categories for images?

Matthew Trump wikipedia at decumanus.com
Thu Jul 15 23:57:42 UTC 2004

I think this would work up to a point. Invoking categorization of
images *only* through article categories would not perhaps not bring
into a account the ontological hierachies that exists for images. For
examples, historical U.S. maps could be within [[Category:U.S.
history]], but they could also be collected under an image-related
category of all historical maps, which is a subcategory of all maps.
This particular hierachy may not be one that is natural for articles,
so it may be the case where we need image-only categories. I've come
to this conclucsion through some experimentation with this. I think
doing within the existing framework would be very useful.

I like Timwi's idea of [[Category:Image:xxxxx]]. Some coding to
produce thumbnails in these categories might not be too strenuous.