[WikiEN-l] IP blocked, and e-mail is not being accepted

Keith Maxwell cremedelacreme04 at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 6 23:57:56 UTC 2004

Folks,

I have the same problem. I have tried editing over the past week and have been told IP address 203.166.76.237 or similar has been banned for repeated vandalism by 21804 -whoever that is. As it wasn't due to my edits - presumably as I have never been warned for vandalism for edits.

Theresa Knott has done some investigation on my behalf and has found that this IP address has been blocked for six months. This is rather a long time.

I was wondering whether bans could be put in place for shorter periods to stop people who make positive contributions enduring lengthy bans together with the vandals.

Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:36:33 -0700 (PDT), Robert wrote:
> I tried to edit an article on Wikipedia today, but I found
> that my IP had been blocked due to the actions of an
> anonymous user...

I've unblocked this now. Please can other admins keep an eye on the
209.247.222.0/24 range to see if it needs reblocking.

> The problem is that some other contributors
> (like me) can't edit, and we can't e-mail the Anome as we
> are told to. So this is a situation that someone should
> know about. (And many people in my city use my ISP, so many
> people are potentially blocked.)

I proposed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Blocking_policy#Email_proposal
that all sysops should have a valid email address, though I'm not sure
now whether that was a worthwhile proposal.

> Could we come up with a way of people with known Wikipedia
> accounts getting around such blocks? Or is such a solution
> already extant?

Currently, the only solution is to email this list.

Angela.