[WikiEN-l] Re: American concepts of justice (was: Rules vs. Anarchy)

Dan Drake dd at dandrake.com
Thu Jul 1 20:36:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:31:39 UTC, Viajero
<viajero at quilombo.nl> wrote:

> On 07/01/04  at 05:25 AM, "Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> said:
>
> > I think it's important for the Wikipedia articles to reflect that fact
> > that many Americans take just the attitude you described above:
>
> >   that America "does something better than most of the world does" by
> >   "having an independent judiciary that is largely in the hands of  people
> >   who understand the concept of due process of law and even approve of it"
>
> Making due note, of course, of such egregious lapses such as the Supreme Court decision which made Bush president. At this point, the US might have something to learn from, say, Bolivia on how to run a fair presidential election.

Jesus Christ, one really can't get away from the America-bashing, can one?
 Say ANYTHING positive about the country, and one is lectured on its
failings.

In using this example (which was also relevant to a point made earlier in
the thread) I was hoping it would be obvious to *most* of the non-American
readers here that they, too, living in countries that also do better than
*most* of the world in this regard, were not being attacked by American
chauvinism here.

Actually, I considered putting a disclaimer in the posting, but thought it
would be a waste.  Wrong again.  I need to be more ultra-patriotic
American, and assume that any praise of anything in my country will be
taken as an attack on the world, foreigners being quite unable (like all
too many Americans) to understand such subtleties.