[WikiEN-l] mediation committee

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 07:33:05 UTC 2004

Let's give it another try

The mediation committee has decided to have a chair.

(The proper terminology should be a chairperson, not a chairman please :-)).

here is the outcome of our considerations :

Mediators are independant in their choice of which case to mediate, and
how to mediate. We want to keep among ourselves,  a collegial type
atmosphere, not a hierarchical group with a leader who has veto power.

As a consequence, the role of the chair will be one of coordination and
facilitation, not of supervision.  There shall be no hierarchy or
specific superauthority in the group.

We wish that all mediators participate to the best of their ability and
desire, to any task necessary within the committee. <br>
However, we also consider the commitee might benefit both of an
organiser and of a minimum of formality, in particular as regards
decisions or recommendations given by the committee itself. For example :
* The chair should help to make sure that the mediators are trained and
standards upheld
* The chair could help to check each request for mediation is being answered
* The chair should help to check everyone has been consulted for a
decision within the community
* The chair could report for the group, when the group wants to speak
with one voice, for official announcements (for example, to announce the
failure of a major mediation and the transfer of the case to arbitration)

Jimbo' s opinion of a chair role
My thinking is that 'hierarchy' isn't what's important, but rather a
sufficient degree of formality so that we have a way of saying "Here's
the outcome of the mediation" or "Here's where we officially say that
mediation hasn't worked, and that the arbitration committee should
look at it now."

The process needs to be knowable and comprehensible to everyone, so
that it's transparent and positive.

--Jimbo

Any of the mediation member may ask to be the chair, and will have to be
approved by the other members.  Appointement to the chair position will
be rotating every couple of months. The current Chairperson is Tuf Kat.

------

well, at least, I hope that this is a correct perception of our
agreement :-))))