[WikiEN-l] Minor changes by anonymous user

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Wed Jan 28 13:39:50 UTC 2004

At 09:59 PM 1/27/04 -0800, Optim wrote:
>As Anthropos said, I would also have no problem
>to disable this feature (minor changes)
>completely. I also never pay attention to that
>thing.
>
>But, To some users the minor changes seem useful.
>I would say to keep this feature and improve it.
>
>So, I agree with Carl Witty.
>
>For the future, we can also do this:
>A lot of checkboxes (NOT option boxes) under the
>edit summary textbox which will include:
>X Spelling/Grammar Fix
>X Copyedit, same meaning

Copyediting is more than spelling/grammar fixing. It generally
means editing for clarity, and for correct choice of words, not
just for whether those words are spelled correctly. If we're going
to have a checkbox for that, let's not label it incorrectly.

>X New content
>X Factual correction
>X NPOV editing
>X Removal of unnecessary info
>X Link correction
>X Addition of new wikilinks or external links
>X Major rewrite
>
>how do you think?

I suspect that the sum of this is overly complicated, however,
and that people won't use them consistently, and most people
won't use them at all. I'd rather just keep typing "Copyed" or
"attempting to NPOV" when those are appropriate to what I've done.