[WikiEN-l] Learning from Experience Rather than Being Bound by Precedent

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Tue Jan 27 11:59:45 UTC 2004

As disputes arise, and are decided, we, as participants, can learn the
consequences. Likewise we can observe the consequences of Jimbo's decisons
as well as what happens when various actions are taken by the community at
large. We can consider those consequences and refine our response and make
an appropriate response to the situation before us. It is not like a court
making decisions which affect property rights or business investments where
citizens need to have a reliable guide to action.

If we try to follow precedent we will make bad decisions in order to avoid
seting a precedent and then make bad decisions because we have to follow
precedent.

Fred