[WikiEN-l] question about the atlantic ocean

KNOTT, T TKNOTT at qcl.org.uk
Tue Jan 27 09:40:34 UTC 2004

Hi, Olivier I am happy to help you although a better place to ask the question is either http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk on Wikipedia
 or http://wikibooks.org/wiki/Study_help_desk on Wikibooks.

But just this once - The ocean current is called the North Atlantic Drift. It is a continuation of the Gulf stream which is a huge current of warm water that flows from the gulf of Mexico up to Europe. It warms the whole of Europe by several degrees, which is why here in the UK we have a temperate climate rather than an arctic one. (get hold of an atlas and follow the lines of latitude round, note which other countries are on the same latitude as us and check out their climate).

The current sinks in several places north of Iceland because it is very salty (and therefore dense). It then returns back to Mexico in a deep water current called the North Atlantic deep water. The whole system forms a huge convection current, which pumps heat from the equator to northern Europe.

There is evidence that in the past this system has shut down. There is some speculation that global warming melting the ice caps may dilute the saltyness of the current and so prevent it from sinking. If this happens there will be a massive cooling of the UK and the whole of Northern Europe.

Theresa