[WikiEN-l] Re: admin abuse

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 07:01:58 UTC 2004

"UB 1" <tp8776 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:20040126054105.96886.qmail at web20724.mail.yahoo.com...
> Wikipedia:Administrators - As of September 2003, it is
> now possible for sysops to block usernames. It is
> important to note that sysops are not authorised to
> decide whether a particular case of vandalism warrants
> banning by username. The ability to ban by username
> has been made available for the purposes of enforcing
> a ban already approved by Jimbo. It may be used to
> block obvious reincarnations of hard-banned users.
>
> Special:Ipblocklist - 05:10, 26 Jan 2004, Angela
> blocked UnbannableOne (contribs) (Unacceptable user
> name. Please log in with something different.
> Unacceptable behaviour. Please quit it.)

UT1 was basically attempting to bait people into banning him, by choosing
the username "UnbannableOne", and by getting into an edit war with five
different sysops over awarding himself a "barnstar". Angela was more than
happy to take that bait, and so predictably enough, UT1 made a complaint.

If Angela didn't block the user, I'm sure someone else would have, in short
order.

-- Tim Starling