[WikiEN-l] Arbitration progress report #3

Martin Harper martin at myreddice.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 00:21:20 UTC 2004

We now have [[Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration#Jurisdiction]] - it's just provisional,
but it seems to be the way we're thinking at the moment.

-----

The arbitrators reserve the right to hear or not hear any dispute, at their discretion.
The following are general guidelines which will apply to most cases, but the
arbitrators may make exceptions.  These guidelines may change over time:

1) The arbitrators will hear disputes that have been referred to it by the mediation
committee.
2) Where a dispute has not gone through mediation, the arbitrators may refer the
dispute to the mediation committee if it believes mediation is likely to help.
3) The arbitrators will occasionally request advice on whether to hear a particular
dispute from Jimbo Wales.
4) The arbitrators will accept both article- and interpersonal- disputes, though expect
to primarily be involved with the latter.
5) The arbitrators will hear or not hear disputes according to the wishes of the
community, where there is a consensus.
6) The arbitrators will not hear disputes where they have not been requested to
arbitrate.

-----

Next on the agenda is determing what Rules we are going to enforce. You know,
when does a "policy" become a "Policy"? How exactly do we rationalise a set of
policies and guidelines that includes a guideline to "Ignore all rules"? Etc.

-Martin "MyRedDice" Harper