[WikiEN-l] Re: Packed with clickable citations

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Sat Jan 24 19:36:39 UTC 2004

Daniel P.B.Smith wrote:

> I agree completely. Lack of citation and traceability is IMHO a big
> glaring
> deficiency in traditional encyclopedias, and it's one that should be
> remediable
> in a hypertext encyclopedia. (However, like so much about Wikipedia,
> there's no big barrier to "just doing it" and hoping that others will
> follow suit. Much as I'd like better Wiki-apparatus for the purpose).

But this seems to assume that the citations will all be to websites,
which isn't likely to be the case--most respected, reliable information
is still not available online.  So citations of that sort will have to
be to books or journal articles, which in many cases won't be accessible
through hypertext.

-Mark