[WikiEN-l] Arbitration progress report #2

Martin Harper martin at myreddice.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 19:23:54 UTC 2004

Dear all.

We have a rough agenda:

PRINCIPLES
1) "Jurisdiction" - what disputes do we plan to get involved in?
2) "Rules" - How do we judge cases
3) "Outcomes" - what solutions can we impose?
4) "Transparency" - issues of privacy, openness, accountability, etc

PROCESS
1) "Requests" - how does one request arbitration?
2) "Who takes part?" - how do we pick arbitrators on a case?
3) "Trial" - How does the trial proceed?
4) "Judgement" - How do we give our judgement?

We might add points to that as they come up. Currently we're largely discussing
Jurisdiction, though we've also has some discussion about Requests and
Transparency prompted by your comments here and elsewhere.

A couple of current Jurisdiction issues:

* What sorts of disputes should the arbitration committee hear? Article disputes?
Wikiquette disputes? Copyright/Legal/Election disputes?

* Should we always require mediation, generally prefer mediation (with exceptions),
or not require mediation?

Your thoughts and opinions are very welcome.

-Martin "MyRedDice" Harper