[WikiEN-l] On continued personal attacks, etc.(repeat without typo)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jan 21 08:17:03 UTC 2004

zero 0000 wrote:

> Obviously personal threats cannot be tolerated.  Nor can criminal
> libels. Both should be capital offences.

That's an extreme penalty for that.  To be consistent with my general
objection to the death penalty, I would need to oppose that.

> If some litigous person one day
> decides to sue WP for publishing a libel against him/herself, just the
> costs will close us down even if the case is weak.

They'll do that where many people would see no libel, and often without
any reasonalble cause whatsoever.  We can do nothing to prevent that.
Censoring ourselves to conform with libel chill is a disservice to free
speech.  If something is true and factual we should not be afraid to say
it.  We do still need to be able to know the difference between fact and
opinion.

Ec