[WikiEN-l] Request for a ban

Nathan Russell nrussell at buffalo.edu
Sun Jan 18 22:47:12 UTC 2004

Geoff Burling wrote:
| On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Sascha Noyes wrote:

| [snip]

|>>I'm not clear how identifying one's home location is a threat. And having
|>>read quite a few emails on this mailling list from RK where he accuses
|>>people of being a Nazi for disagreeing with him, I read this as a
sardonic
|>>description.
|>
|>I agree with you that RK has at times behaved extremely badly on
wikipedia,
|>but that is not at issue here. I have stated that I believe that MNH's
|>statement that he is a german Nazi from NY who is extremely proud of his
|>heritage is indeed an implicit threat to RK:
|>
|>RK is a jew who lives in NY. MNH stating that he is a Nazi from NY implies
|>firstly that he is ideologically motivated to kill RK, and secondly
that he
|>lives close to RK.
|

| I think you are making a logical fallicy here. You assume that because MNH
| calls himself a Nazi, therefore he wants to kill RK. As I argued, one can
| describe oneself -- or another person -- a Nazi for many reasons. In my
| last email, I suggested it was in response to RK's habit of calling anyone
| he disagrees with "a Nazi"; another possible meaning would be the
"Soup Nazi"
| from the Seinberg sitcom, who is not clearly anti-semitic, merely despotic
| in how he runs his restaurant.

However, when one thinks of historic Nazis, killing Jews IS one of the
first characteristics to come to mind.

I do disagree with RK calling anyone he dislikes a Nazi, but that's a
separate issue.  If I told (picking random user names here) Angela that
I thought she was a terrorist because she protected an article on
someone else's version, would that justify Uncle Ed telling me he was a
terrorist and was going to kill me?

Nathan aka Pak