[WikiEN-l] Request for a ban

Martin Harper martin at myreddice.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jan 18 13:34:55 UTC 2004

> I think we need a Wikipedia Prosecutor's office

If Sascha considers that Mr. N-H's attacks are disruptive to her Wikipedia
experience, then she is entitled to take that problem, personally or in a group of like-
minded citizens, to mediation and/or arbitration. Even if the attacks were not made
against her, she may still feel that they are unpleasant to witness.

If someone breaks Wikipedia's rules, but nobody minds enough to request mediation
or arbitration, then nothing will happen. I rather feel this is a feature, not a bug.

> an elected prosecutor would hire deputies and go out and investigate the matter

Past experience suggests that were someone is being obnoxious, there will be no
shortage of Wikipedians willing to supply evidence of such obnoxiousness.
Mediators are of course free to do additional investigation if it allows them to reach a
mutually acceptable end to the conflict. Arbitrators are likewise free to do additional
investigation if it is necessary to come to the right judgement.

-Martin "MyRedDice" Harper