[WikiEN-l] Proposal to link [[Wikipedia:Submission Standards]] from every edit window

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 05:39:16 UTC 2004

I propose that we link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Submission_Standards from every edit
window starting on Wednesday 21 January unless there are major outstanding
problems with that page at that time. Visit that talk page to discuss this
issue.

Two of the biggest pros, IMO, is that it gives our mediation and arbitration
processes legal force and it also designates the Wikimedia Foundation as
"your non-exclusive agent for copyright compliance".

BTW, Alex, our de-facto pro-bono lawyer, wrote the submission standards. But
I'm sure he would be the first to say that they do not constitute a legal
opinion.

This line would be added to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Copyrightwarning

By clicking "save page" you agree to [Wikipedia:Submission Standards] and
affirm that you submission does not violate those terms.

Since Copyrightwarning does not parse wiki, [Wikipedia:Submission Standards]
would actually be <a
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Submission_Standards">Wikipedia:Submission
Standards</a>

An example of how this would work is already on Meta:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Meta:Sandbox&action=edit

This was done by editing:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Copyrightwarning

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)