[WikiEN-l] mediation

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 20:16:00 UTC 2004

Dear all

I hope I did not overstep because I was bold. I had
time last night :-)

I edited/created the articles having the do with
mediation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3AMediation_Committee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3AMediation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3ARequests_for_mediation

Here is how I perceive things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3AMediation_Committee
*list all the current mediators, and give means to
contact them (among user talk page, email, irc, icq,
phone...)
*explanation of what a mediator is (duties and rights
to respect within that role) and how it differs from
an arbitrator
* how the commitee works as an entity : private
mailing list, report from a mediator to the others,
advices given within the group, external counsellor
(alex756)
*how to be a mediator yourself
*requests to be appointed
*mention of availability among the current mediators

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3ARequests_for_mediation
*short point list of the most important points about
mediation
- what is and what is not mediation
- which type of conflicts it may handle
- rights and duties of those asking mediation
(confidentiality…)
- how and when to request mediation
- the basic of the procedure
- what will happen if that fails…
(I expect all this to remain short and very explicit)
*current cases in mediation and state of each case
*pending requests

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3Amediation
A fairly detailed page on what mediation is or should
be
With
*description of what mediation is "in the real world"
*application to wikipedia case

Currently, the first part comes mostly from our
article on mediation, and from what was previously
written on the matter in several places
The second part (if I remember well) mostly from Jussy
work on meta

I think this article should mostly be seen as a
ressource for the mediators (for any mediator,
including those out of the commitee)
* ideas for how to face the possibly very heated
editors at the beginning of the process, and cool down
things
* suggestions for various steps (I believe each case
is particular, but a bit of structure is often
beneficial)
* perhaps some links to ressources about fallacies ?
* previous cases ?
* external links with ressources about mediation ?
* ?

-------

I would like to mention two points I think are
important