[WikiEN-l] Terrorism

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 09:52:56 UTC 2004

zero 0000 wrote:
>Other uses of "terrorism" in Wikipedia just make me cringe.
>"Many people regard this to be terrorism" is about my least
>favorite.

If that is true that many people think that then we *report* it.

>In my view the majority of similar sentences in
>Wikipedia were put there by people who wanted
>to insert their own opinions.

Where? Not for Osama bin Laden or al-Qaeda. In those cases "widely regarded as
terrorist" is factually correct, not just an opinion of the writers.

>Of course if a key aspect of the topic of the article
>is public opinion that would be a different situation

No, the key topic of the article is the subject of that article and different
people will have different views on what that subject is or a part of. For a
great many people Osama bin Laden is a terrorist and al-Qaeda is a terrorist
organization. So we report that!

>(but then I'd hope to see some actual opinion poll data or something).

Oh please. Some things are so obvious that they don't need to be backed up
with polls.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)