[WikiEN-l] Let's roll! (was: Sep 11)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Jan 16 17:19:20 UTC 2004

John asked, somewhat plaintively, "Does terrorism only occur if it's NOT
directed against Americans or Israelis?"

This is a good question, and we should develop an article to answer this
question. As a start, let's consider what the definition of terrorism
is, or list multiple definition.

"Violence directed against civilians"

Ah, but what about the bombings of Coventry or Dresden?

"Not an act of a state"

Ah, but what about state-supported terrorism?

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"

Hmm. Maybe the issue is "injustice".

That is, X will label a given act of violence against civilians
"terrorist" if he considers it unjust. Like, how dare those bastards
bulldoze this Arab man's house?

Meanwhile, Y might say that the same act is not terrorist, because he
does NOT consider it unjust. Like, we were destroying tunnels used to
smuggle weapons, etc.

Same logic applies to blowing up a bus or pizzeria. My side calls it an
act of war, a blow against oppression (i.e., justifiable). Your side
calls it cowardly, unjust, etc.

It all boils down to the point of view of the person classifying the
act. So let's identify the POV and its advocate. *yawn* case closed. Not
too hard, eh?

Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed