[WikiEN-l] Using a dictionary considered helpful

Gutza gutza at moongate.ro
Fri Jan 16 13:32:02 UTC 2004

dpbsmith at verizon.net wrote:

>I don't regard a dictionary as holy writ, and I don't have any illusions that
>using one will settle these disputes, but I really do wish, when conducting
>arguments--particularly in writing via email--that contenders would resort
>more to the dictionary, at least as a starting point, for defining terms.
>
>For example:
>
>Terrorism: "The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a
>person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of
>intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or
>political reasons."
>
>Terrorist: "One that engages in acts or an act of terrorism."
>
>Not an answer, not unambiguous, not unchallengable, but a starting point.

I'm not contesting your input, I don't even follow the dispute, I just
think it's funny to notice that corroborating the definition above with
the subjective point of view (who determines what's unlawful?), the
whole of US were terrorists *by the book* in regards to the old Iraqui
regime. The eye of the beholder...

--Gutza