[WikiEN-l] First formal request for a Mediator

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen jheiskan at welho.com
Thu Jan 15 18:04:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 18:24, Poor, Edmund W wrote:

    I've been asked to be a mediator, by Jack Lynch (seconded by
    Danny) re: RK.

Brother Edmund; please understand I am writing as a
"brother" = "colleague"/whatever mediation committee member.

If you (personally) have been asked to be a mediator, that has yet to
have been confirmed by *both sides of the dispute*, If RK has indeed
asked you to mediate, I beg your forgiveness, but I hope you understand
that explicit acquiescence at the very least, from both sides of the
dispute, would be very nice.

    This is going to be hard.

    First, I might wind up recusing myself early on because my
    "interest" in Israel might make me biased. I invite those who
    know me well (and who have earned my trust) to contact me
    privately /immediately upon/ seeing any signs of bias on my
    part that may tend to sabotage the mediation.

    Second, there haven't been enough specifics presented. I hope
    people will either post diffs as links, on my user talk page so
    I can see EXAMPLES of what they're complaining about.

Indeed, may I again ask my brother/colleague to rein in his enthusiasm?
The institution of mediation should not bend over backwards to
accommodate
complaints that are merely of a trolling nature. Maybe you may have a
prejudice that makes you take any complaint against RK seriously, but
the
first order of business should be to determine whether the complaint has
any merit whatsoever. After we (the mediation committee) determine
there is a reasonable case to be answered, we as a committee should
confer, and decide who of us should take the case on (or alternately
of course Jimbo can make the determination and appointment).

    Third, I am sometimes pretty contentious myself, so I might
    turn a blind eye to someone else's contentiousness and
    troublesomeness.

    This might be easy.

    First, I am aware of a lot of my limitiations, and publicly
    acknowledging them will help keep me honest.

    Second, despite my weaknesses a lot of people trust me --
    possibly /because/ I rather freely admit to these weaknesses,
    rather than trying to hide them.

    At least one person on each side of the current conflict (the
    world vs. RK ;-) has written me some very nice personal e-mail.
    Without revealing confidences, I can say that the contents of
    these e-mails inspires me the hope that a quick and lasting
    resolution is within our grasp.

    Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed
    A member of the official Mediation Committee

    P.S. Gosh, I wear a lot of hats!

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen (aka Cimon Avaro)

P.S. If I am totally offbase here, I hope I can be as free in
acknowledging
my error as Ed habitually is.