[WikiEN-l] Re: How much?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jan 14 21:58:15 UTC 2004

Sascha Noyes wrote:

>Attribution is always good.  I don't have a problem with the opinions of
>others, if they are in any way founded on some evidence. What I do have a
>problems with is people pushing unfounded opinions on others. By unfounded I
>mean "making an assertion as to the truth of a proposition without giving any
>evidence to support this assertion."

I agree that being able to trace the source of information is important.
 The problem is not just with "pushing" opinions; sometimes a simple
innocuous statement is entered as though it were a fact.  It is not
about a contentious issue, nor is it about something that people are
likely to concern themselves.  Including such unfounded material can
have a long term effect on the credibility of Wikipedia.

In [[Académie française]] there is the statement "a musician named
Gourville, who named it the Académie française".  Another established
contributor and I both independently looked for some kind of
substantiation for this statement; neither of us was successful.  At the
same time we did not find any information indicating that someone else
was responsible for the name.  This particular piece of data was
contributed by an anonymous contributor on December 31, 2002.  The last
contribution of any sort by him was on April 12, 2003.  He may still be
with us, and with a real identity, but I can't know that.

What do I know about 17th century musicians.  I found a contemporary
Gourville who was in a position to exercise such influence, but no
evidence to connect him with the issue.  Fact-checking is a painstaking
and tedious process, and tracing the type of thing that I used as an
example could take hours, and may require material that is not on the
internet.  Wikipedia's credibility depends on it.  Everybody knows to
expect bias in a hotly disputed topic like Israeli/Palestinian
relations, and is on alert for that bias.  This is not so with obscure
little details.  A credibility test for Wikipedia might be to take a
random selection of obscure details and attempt to verify them, or at
least find some source.  How well would we do?

Ec