[WikiEN-l] How much?

Sascha Noyes sascha at pantropy.net
Wed Jan 14 16:33:04 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 11:22 am, Peter Jaros wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2004, at 11:58 PM, Sascha Noyes wrote:
> >
> > legitimate

> > own

> >> Ah, but should we add some graphic photographs to [[anus]], [[feces]],
> >> and a variety of other subjects people perhaps wouldn't want to see
> >> images of?  After all, unless you're offended by your own bowel
> >> movements, you can't possibly find images of feces offensive, right?
> >
> > That is correct. I see my feces nearly every day, and recognise that
> > defecation is a normal and natural act. I am not in the least bit
> > offended by
> > the sight of feces. People study feces of animals to infer what they
> > ate,
> > etc. I don't find these people to be morally reprehensible characters
> > because
> > they are interested in feces. Similarly for anuses.
>
> How many anuses do *you* see per day?  I don't see any, myself.  Not
> even my own.  So what's so great about a picture of an anus?  Will it
> help you recognize one if you see it in the wild? :)
>
> It seems like a diagram, rather than a picture, would be much more
> informative, which is obviously the point.  And if we offend fewer
> people, so much the better.
>
> Peter

How many Lungs do *you* see per day? I don't see any, myself.  Not
even my own.  So, one might ask oneself: "What's so great about a picture of
an Lung"?  "Will it help you recognize one if you see it in the wild"? :)

Actually, it will. ;-)

I think pictures add information. Not a great deal, mind you. But you could
always attempt to argue that wikipedia should have no pictures, because the
arguments you have presented against pictures of anuses applies equally to
all other pictures. I doubt, however, that you will get very far. I share
Erik's opinion that pictures should complement illustrations/diagrams. Again,
the onus is on the part of the censors to justify the removal of encyclopedic
knowledge from an encyclopedia.

Best,
Sascha Noyes
--
Please encrypt all email. Public key available from
www.pantropy.net/snoyes.asc