[WikiEN-l] Audience : was Re: pictures of genetalia

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 18:11:57 UTC 2004

Tarquin wrote:
>In terms of material and content, we should consider
>the audience of all wikipedia languages to be international.
>(Naturally, in terms of the vocabulary and grammar, we
>write for competent speakers of the language.)

Yes - of course. But I would add that what passes for an an encyclopedia
article in one language - how it is organized and split up - is not
necessarily going to be the same between two languages. Even what is included
in an encyclopedia vs other works of reference is going to differ between
different languages. Some languages have a tradition of having many articles
on words, while others have a tradition of segregating articles on words into
more minimal entries in dictionaries.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)