[WikiEN-l] New deletion policy suggestion

Dan Miller meelar2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 07:38:32 UTC 2004

For those who haven't been following the discussion on
Talk: Votes for Deletion, I thought I'd drag this idea
into the light of debate:

I agree that the VfD process is overused; look at the
relatively high proportion of "keep" votes. Ideally,
only pages that are relatively clear-cut cases would
go here, with the rest being moved to cleanup or
elsewhere. But the WikiMoney plan would harm new
users, and also be quite complicated to use. Why not a
better plan, such as:

Before any page can be listed on regular VfD, it must
be listed on cleanup and left there for some time; I'm
thinking two weeks, but this is negotiable. After
that, it can be moved to VfD, and a vote can be held.
Of course, the regular candidates for speedy deletion
could go, and the copyvio delete page would be
unaffected. Not only would this solve the overuse of
VfD, it would also help stop the occasional listing on
VfD of copyvios. And, it could be accomplished by
simply placing a notice at the top of the VfD page,
rather than encumbering everyone with a complicated
system of WikiMoney, which might frighten newbies and
irritate old hands.