[WikiEN-l] Reading Software

Nikos-Optim optim81 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 01:28:02 UTC 2004

Considering that we usually don't put some punctuation
(; . , :) after headings (section titles), List items,
See also listings where a list is utilised, etc etc...
I am afraid to say that the current Wikipedia style
seems to be unfair to Reading Software (software which
converts text into voice, Example: Adobe 6). Reading
Software uses the punctuation to make pauses, and
cannot get into account the document's markup and
format (headings etc). Lately I started putting :
after headings and ; or . after list items, but I
found the visual result disgusting and hard-to-read.
If I don't use the punctuation, the problem is that
Reading Software cannot recognize the necessary pauses
and as a result the listener has trouble understanding
the meaning. I would like to find some way to
incorporate some hidden punctuation into the articles,
which will be used only by reading software but will
be invisible to the user who reads the text on the
screen or paper. Do you have any idea on this? If
impossible, I propose to think about the issue of
reading software and decide on whether punctuation
should be used and what kind of punctuation, as an
effort to optimise our writing style for Reading
Software. Thank you and may you have Peace Profound, --Optim