[WikiEN-l] Audience : was Re: pictures of genetalia

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 22:15:34 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:
>In my opinion, this separation of 1) primary audience : native
>english speakers and 2) secondary audience : non native
>is not a good idea if it comes to overinflate an issue (such as
>circumsision) or underunflate (hum) another (such as excision).

Of course not - that is why I said "within the bounds of NPOV".

>Some here may be here to write for the most obvious
>audience :  americans. But not all of us.

What?! Why the hell does this always come down to American bashing? I was
talking about the /entire/ English speaking world *NOT JUST AMERICANS!!!*.

>I do not like the concept of "first" and "second" audience
>because that would be officially stating that we should
>primarily write for the first, to the detriment of the second.

No, it means we primarily write for the first and secondarily write for the
second. They are /both/ part of our audience and are both important.

>If english people write only or mostly for english people,
>if french people write only or mostly for french people, if
>arab people write only or mostly for arab people, then we
>fail. Wikipedia fails.

OK, that has got to be the most bizarre thing I've read in a while. I write
for *all* English speaking people. Sorry but how can I write for a French
audience when I don't speak French?

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)