[WikiEN-l] footnotes and citations

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Sun Jan 11 06:27:36 UTC 2004

On Saturday 10 January 2004 13:56, Graham Burnett wrote:
> > However, wiki-markup has no convenient way of representing footnotes and
> > citations.  In my fantasy, some hypertexty mechanism could give you the
> best
> > of both world--invisible footnotes that don't interrupt the text but can
> be
> > made visible if you want to trace the authority for something.
>
> This is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind, but didn't express too
> well due to the imbibing of far too much home-made wine last night ;-)

I was thinking about this problem. I think that probably the best way for
solving it is introducing pseudo-namespaces "Footnote:" and "Citation:".
These would display in the text as numbers, consistent with current URL
inlining:

Some text [http://site1.com], with a [[Footnote: This is a footnote]], and
then a [http://site2.com], and a [[Citation: This Book by Someone]] would
render:

Some text [1], with a [2], and then a [3], and a [4] would render:

Now, the simplest thing to do is having a link that leads to nowhere (#) and
the text of the footnote/citation would be displayed as hover text (just as,
when you hold your mouse over a link to an article for some time, the name of
the article which realy is beign linked to is displayed). The proper thing to
do, though it is a bit complicated, would be that, in addition to above, text
of the footnote/citation is actually added on the fly to the
Footnotes/References paragraph of the article, the link points to
footnote/citation's anchor, and next to the footnote/citation there is a link
(or more of them) that says "go back" and points to an anchor in the text
next to the citation number. Perhaps, as the first solution, browser
detection could be done, and browsers which are not capable of displaying
hover text would be fed with [2: This is a footnote] text instead.