[WikiEN-l] Re: Pictures of genitalia

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sat Jan 10 19:07:56 UTC 2004

Re circumcision: it looks to me as if the current article has pictures of
both a circumcized and an uncircumsized penis, so what's the problem?

Re pictures of genitalia. As a reference point, the Encyclopedia Britannica,
11th edition, the index word "penis" references the article "Reproductive
system." This article contains a number of detailed line drawings
(engravings?), mostly from Cunningham's Textbook of Anatomy. None of them
are, however, what I'd call a picture of a genital. The male section shows a
transverse section of a "young Prostate" (eeewwwww); a transverse section of
a testis and epididymus (eeeewwww); a sagital median section of bladder
prostate, and rectum, and a three-dimensional-looking detailed view that
looks to me like a dissected cadaver (EEEEEwwwwww), showing a "view of the
base of the bladder, prostate, seminal vesicles, and vasa deferentia." The
female section offers a cadaverous view of the uterus and broad ligament, and
a diagram of the vaginal cavity, cervix, and uterus.

In other words, I infer that their policy is "an encyclopedia should have
pictures," and also that their policy with respect to genitalia "cadavers and
transverse sections only, and no erectile tissue at all."

Let me say as clearly as I can that I present that just as a data point. I am
not, repeat NOT suggesting that this is the appropriate policy for Wikipedia!