[WikiEN-l] Images of sex organs

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 15:05:31 UTC 2004

Erik writes:
> However, I think we should be very careful with such
> taboos, and only apply them when there is almost
> universal agreement to do so. In other words, when
> there's *near* unanimous consensus not to have images,
> then we can do without them.

So far, so good. I agree.

> This is not the case for genitalia -- I think pictures
> of genitalia are only offensive to a relatively small
> segment of the population

I disagree. A very large number of Americans will refuse to
use Wikipedia if it contains color photographs of penises,
vaginas, anal sphincters, etc.  If we do not have at least
some level of protection, then we will become one of
America's most-blocked site on home and school Internet
filters.

(On the other hand, such blocking might occur because we
have NPOV discussions of God and religion, which is a
threat to many Americans as well...)

Perhaps main articles should have no such images, but can
contain a link to a related article with such photos. That
way even if pages are blocked due to certain images, the
main articles would still be available to be read in most
homes and schools.

Robert (RK)