[WikiEN-l] External links and attributions

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sat Jan 10 11:21:34 UTC 2004

> From: "Graham Burnett" <grahamburnett at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] External links in articles, and a citations
> 	feature?

> Personally i'd like to see MORE external links/citations, and was even
> thinking of proposing a feature for including citations or attributiuons
> within articles.
>
> From: Christopher Mahan <chris_mahan at yahoo.com>
>
> put them at the bottom of the article, under Extternal links, under
> References. Then reference them in the text as you would in a english
> composition class paper.

I would really like to see more use of attributions, references, citations
within Wikipedia.  Traditional encyclopedias don't do very much of this, but
I think this is a serious weakness on their part.  The traditional
encyclopedia simply speaks _ex cathedra_, and the only reason you have for
believing it is that "they wouldn't print it if it weren't true." Even if
(reportedly) the U. S. version of Microsoft Encarta says the light bulb was
invented by Edison, and the British version says it was Swan. (The old
Britannica used to at least have the articles initialed, so you at least knew
that "well, Lord Rayleigh thinks so.")

I remember being shocked in high school when I learned for the first time
that an encyclopedia could not be referenced in a scholarly article because
it didn't meet scholarly standards for attribution.

I don't know why print encyclopedias don't choose to reference their sources.
Presumably it's limited space, and/or a desire not to clutter up the article
with footnotes. Or perhaps it's a feeling that for the stubby two-paragraph
articles the article-to-references ratio wouldn't be very high.  Wikipedia
has fewer space limitations.

However, wiki-markup has no convenient way of representing footnotes and
citations.  In my fantasy, some hypertexty mechanism could give you the best
of both world--invisible footnotes that don't interrupt the text but can be
made visible if you want to trace the authority for something.

I agree that there's nothing to stop anyone from doing what Christopher Mahan
suggests.  And that would be a good thing.

But at the very least, I'd like to see a convenient way of doing an inter-
page link, so that you can put a citation in the text that is just an
unobtrusive thing like a single character, such that clicking on it takes you
to the reference in the references section--AND automatically puts a RETURN-
link in the reference. I believe you can do this today with hand-tuned HTML,
but...

It seems to me that a policy that encourages the inclusion of references, and
a markup mechanism that makes them easy to write and read, would support in
the spirit of NPOV and "X REPORTS Y ABOUT Z."