[WikiEN-l] Let's get rid of VfD

Martin Harper martin at myreddice.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 20:54:01 UTC 2004

Erik said some very insightful stuff about our current deletion process, but I would
like to take issue with:

> One master believes in rules and due process, the other believes
> in creative chaos and consensus

I think it is more accurate to suggest that one master believes in rules, another
believes in votes, and a third believes in consensus. There actually is a lot of
support, even a near consensus, behind the "due process" side of things, which is
why there's always so much fuss if a sysop deletes a page in a way that isn't strictly
supported by our deletion policy.

Currently we fudge the three viewpoints by essentially allowing the sysop/user taking
the decision to decide on what basis to take it - "rough consensus" covers a
multitude of sins. While clearly non-ideal, it's not as bad as it sounds - we're
empowering those who take the decisions, and since they're the ones who get the
flak, that seems kinda fair.

-- Martin "MyRedDice" Harper