[WikiEN-l] Partisanship and Neutrality (was: Effective bullying strategy)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Jan 9 14:28:33 UTC 2004

I am the first to admit that it's difficult to put forward
points of view /neutrally/ when one is a partisan.

That is why I am usually V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W to edit anything
relating to the [[Unification Church]]; I'm a member of it
and a passionate advocate of its theological and philosophical
views.

I'm also slow and careful (when I can be) on environmental
issues, but several times a year I seem to lose my temper, edit
too hastily, and have to apologize.

Some other respected contributors, recognizing the difficulty
they have writing neutrally on subjects they feel passionately
about, avoid those topics altogether. Daniel Mayer (Maveric)
sets the best example I'm aware of, in this respect.

The two best things I've found to help me avoid partisan
fighting at Wikipedia are:

1. Summarize the POV of my "opponent" /TO HIS SATISFACTION/ !!!
2. If one of my contributions is reverted (even once), take
   this as a signal that I'm NOT DOING AN ADEQUATE JOB of
   reflecting POVs other than my own.

Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed