[WikiEN-l] WikiLyrics

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Jan 8 21:29:39 UTC 2004

Kent-
> Though the RIAA is definitely
> tort-happy, I don't believe there have been any attempts to shut down
> online lyrics websites

Incorrect. The best lyrics archive of all time was lyrics.sh, and it was
shut down via court order by the Swiss RIAA equivalent. I think they
reached a settlement of some kind, but the site that is now in its place
is a spam-infested craphole. Everything2.com, which is a bit like a wiki,
has recently started to enforce strict copyright rules on material such as
lyrics.

There are lots of ad-infested lyrics archives on the net, but it seems
like the good ones always get shut down sooner or later. If you want to
deal with legal threats, then go ahead and set up a lyrics wiki. Nowadays
when I search for lyrics, I just google for a phrase from the song which I
can identify (remember to put the phrase in quotes), that usually does the
trick.

Regards,

Erik