[WikiEN-l] WikiLyrics

Kent Wang kwang at kwang.org
Thu Jan 8 19:16:02 UTC 2004

I was browsing through OHHLA.com (Online Hip-Hop Lyrics Archive) and
realized that a lyrics archive would be an excellent application of Wiki
technology. Although OHHLA is the most comprehensive website in its
genre, there are still many less popular artists that are not covered,
and most of the pages I've seen contain at least a mistake or two.

So I think a great new WikiMedia project would be a "WikiLyrics" that
would cover music lyrics for all genres.

Hip-hop lyrics are particularly in need for a wiki because they are full
of slang words and in-references that can be Wikified to articles
explaining them. Hip-hop albums also rarely come with lyrics sheets
though ironically, are probably most in need of them.

I've already Googled for "lyrics wiki" and found no significant hits.

I'm very enthusiastic about this idea but a major problem that will need
to be resolved is that almost all lyrics are not open content and the
GFDL will most certainly be incompatible. Though the RIAA is definitely
tort-happy, I don't believe there have been any attempts to shut down
online lyrics websites, especially since they should not undermine
record sales.

I eagerly await your comments on this idea.

Kent Wang