[WikiEN-l] DNA and "nucleic acid"

Daniel P.B.Smith dpbsmith at world.std.com
Tue Jan 6 23:11:45 UTC 2004

Crick and Watson's original paper was entitled  "Molecular structure
of Nucleic Acids," (1953), Nature 171:737-738. The opening
sentence is:  "We wish to suggest a structure
for the salt of deoxyribose nucleic acid (D.N.A.). This structure has
novel features which are of considerable biological interest."

The American Heritage Dictionary, 4th ed. defines "nucleic acid" as

"Any of a group of complex compounds found in all living cells
and viruses, composed of purines, pyrimidines, carbohydrates,
and phosphoric acid. Nucleic acids in the form of DNA and RNA
control cellular function and heredity."

However, looking at [[Talk:DNA]] and the descriptions of the changes
on the page, history, I don't see any obvious dispute
framed in terms of whether "whether DNA is a nucleic acid."

--
Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at world.std.com alternate:
dpbsmith at alum.mit.edu
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/