[WikiEN-l] www.wixpression.org?

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Tue Jan 6 23:11:39 UTC 2004

Gutza wrote:

> How about a Wikipedia "documenting" expressions in various languages?
> I mean, try googling around for "bring it on" (~542,000 matches), or
> "what goes around comes around" (~98,500 matches)--and try finding out
> what they /mean/. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to find any
> explanation anywhere--I haven't.
>
> Now I'm aware such a topic is more "dictionary-like" rather than
> "encyclopedia-like"--I guess that's the first objection which comes to
> mind, although we already have a Wiktionary--, but is Wikimedia's
> purpose to only support encyclopedic projects, or to support projects
> which would be helpful?

While this certainly seems useful, I'm not sure it can't be incorporated
within Wiktionary itself instead of starting a new project.  Some paper
dictionaries include some idiomatic phrases in them already, so this
isn't completely unusual.  So I'd say just go ahead and add them to
Wiktionary, though perhaps some sort of meta-markup on Wiktionary would
be useful to categorize these sorts of things (perhaps the same sort of
meta-markup being discussed for Wikipedia categories?).

-Mark