[WikiEN-l] Clearer policy on self-written and obscure biographies

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jan 4 23:42:05 UTC 2004

Toby Bartels wrote:

>That explains why the autobiographies are a problem
>(if you accept mav's premise that we need a filter),
>but it doesn't explain why they are more unverifiable.

Filters inherently require a subjective decision.  They work better when
opinions on something fall into a narrow range.  I think that the range
of attitudes about what should be kept is too wide to make filters workable.

>Potentially, a Wikipedia autobiography that attracted attention
>(say, on its talk page) that led to verifiable sources
>could be acceptable -- and such articles can be salvaged
>by following up the sources mentioned on the talk page.
>But one can't ''start'' with a Wikipedia autobiography
>and just hope that people will place sources in the talk page;
>we need to have something verifiable to begin with.
>Thus a Wikipedia autobiography, when there is no other material,
>is not verifiable.

The first line of approach on any of these biographic articles should be
based on attempts to contact the writer.  Deletion should not be
considered until a serious effort has been made in that direction.

Ec