[WikiEN-l] Autobiograpies

Ruimu ruimu at uestc.edu.cn
Sat Jan 3 03:02:04 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "tarquin" <tarquin at planetunreal.com>

> My point was that it's a terrible idea.
> This guy MRM Parrott is basically abusing the open nature of Wikipedia
> and using it as a platform for self-promotion.

        In short: I would leave autobiographies growing alone without
        particular rules. I think the pov problem is not so different than
        in other cases. (In fact, it's easyier to address for autobio.)
        I don't think self-promotion is efficient on Wikipedia.

It is obvious that this guy is using Wikipedia for self-satisfaction while
writing his own autobiography, and Wikipedia probably wouldn't work without
this powerful self-fuelling system, but how could this "promotion" have the
sligthest efficiency? One article in Wikipedia in an ant in the ant hill. If
he wants to promote himself, he'd better go on the streets and do a naked
headstand, or simply troll the usenet (where many readers will see his prose
without having to ''look for'' it).

If I were God, I would gently remove him for list of ethicist, but leave him
in list of persons (already done by someone else). I would leave him his
page, but remove existing pov-erties if any.

Someone said here or somewhere that Wikipedia have no roof and no walls. If
there is list of programmers, there is maybe a list of unreal programmers.
If you have released a software for unreal, your name is to be on this list.
If your name is on the list, it should (have to?) be a wikilink. If there is
an empty wikilink, it means that an article has to be written, by anyone
including you.

If you or Mr Parrott are stupid enough (I know you are not, I'm just weaving
the thread) to write an autobiography that is obviously biaised, and can't
retain yourself from stating that unreal or post-modernism is the best thing
in the world because you feel better after saying that on something that
matters to you, then it is likely that you will not be more neutral in
contributing on [[unreal]] or [[post-modernism]] than on your own bio page
(even worse: people will pay less attention on your edits). (Sorry for the
length of previous sentence)

Ruimu