[WikiEN-l] Policy question: Interwiki links on disambiguation pages?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jan 1 01:01:23 UTC 2004

Angela wrote:

>Timwi wrote
>
>>Do we want to inter-wiki-link disambiguation pages?
>>

>Yes, I think they're useful.
>
>>there may be a disambiguation page for a term which
>>is ambiguous only in English and not in other
>>languages ([[jack]] comes to mind).
>>

>Then there wouldn't be a disambiguation page in
>another language to link to, so that wouldn't be an
>issue. Only languages which have a disambiguation page
>that matches one in another language would have these
>inter-language links, so I don't see why [[jack]]
>would cause any problems.
>
>Often a disambiguation page does map well to those in
>other languages, such as [[Mars]], which has links to
>[[Mars (god)]] and [[Mars (planet)]] in English, that
>maps to the [[Mars (Mythologie)]] and [[Mars
>(Planet)]] on de for example. There will also be links
>on the foreign disambiguation pages that aren't
>included on en, like fr has [[Mars (mois)]], but that
>doesn't mean the English Mars page has to link to
>[[March]]. I don't think that's a problem.
>
>What benefit is there to removing them?

When I first saw this thread I was mildly negative to such links, but
the more I consider the issue the more I see them as useful.  this is
especially so for people who may be familiar with more than one language
who may appreciate knowing that the term is used differently in English.
 English concepts are often imported by other languages where they take
can take on an entirely different and frequently unexpected meaning.

Ec