[WikiEN-l] Print edition

limholt at excite.com limholt at excite.com
Fri Feb 27 14:19:56 UTC 2004

General Remark: A very positive goal.

Suggestions:

Create one or two Wiki namespace pages to summarize, and use their talk pages for discussion. The mail list is fine, but makes it reallly difficult to follow or comment, since I don't know what has already been  covered in messages I haven't read yet. If I get one or two seonds for this idea, I'll go ahead and create two pages, one to summarize logistics or mechanics and one to summarize content and formnat discusion.

Versioning or Article summaries:

Mark Pellegrini suggested a separate page space similar to a talk page. I think I sympathize with his goals, but would amend it. Why not make the '''Concise Wikipeddia''' or '''Concise English''' a language Wiki. We've already got the Simple English example. If we always use the 'other language link' when we move an artcle, you can see at a glance what is over there. This also generates some other thoughts, such as:
 - We could always have a talk page section that lists last date synched with or copied from the main Wiki.
 - Article links still work, sort of, provided that the linked article has been moved, or they show that it hasn't yet.

Issues to Resolve:

Since Wiki isn't paper, but Concise will be, our convention of ussing normal form names will probably need to change. Any Encyclopedia I've seen lists JFK under Kennedy, John F. not John F. Kennedy. We might expect this change.

Article Links:

Most encyclopedias tell use q.v. or something similar to tell you there iss an article. I've seen bold print, or a typeface shift used the same way. So, comments about adjusting piped  links work, but require some thought. For example, individual names (if last, first is used as article title) could still use a pipe in the online version.

Since I just caught up on all my mail, I've ijcluded some things reated to different parts of the discussion thread. I' apolgize for that, but must warn you that I don't feel guilty.

Regards to all,

Lou Imholt (LouI at Wiki)