[WikiEN-l] Re: Print edition

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Fri Feb 27 12:11:56 UTC 2004

mapellegrini at comcast.net wrote:

>First, let me say that the idea of a printed version of Wikipedia is *GREAT*
>
>I'd like to make a modest logistical proposal for the print edition. I think
>that each article, in addition to having an associated talk page, should have
>an associated "Wikipedia 1.0" page - a page containing a print-encyclopedia
>worthy summary. This is important, because a printed encyclopedia should
>contain no web links, or internal links, but we don't want to remove them from our articles either. Some longer articles need to be shortened for the print version as well. I think this is the most workable way to do it.

How about a "printable" (or "print") namespace? Or "brief"?

Important functions for this:
* For the "print:" version, show number of (normal/minor) edits of the
"big" article and the time passed since the last edit of the print
version. This will help keeping the printable version up-to-date with
information on the "real" page.
* Some mechanism to lock the page when the deadline approaches. This
could be a page protection after at least two approvals.
* Links in "print:" should automagically link to the "print:" versions
instead of the ":" namespace. That way, it would be easy to see what's
missing (broken link).

A list of articles to include could start as a list of existing
articles, sorted by "how many articles link here" (":" namespace only).

Magnus