[WikiEN-l] Re: Print edition

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Feb 27 09:05:47 UTC 2004

Imran Ghory wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Timwi wrote:
>
>>Ray Saintonge wrote:

>>>I think it needs to be more systematic than that.
>>>
>>Please do elaborate! I want to hear your thoughts.
>>
>Perhaps we should build up a list of topic we should have methodologically
>(going through categories like coutries, sciences, arts,etc.) and then
>import those articles in.

That would be a good place to start.  Looking at the top level topics
referenced from the Main Page would be good, and including general
articles about what each of these subjects is would be important.  Those
articles should be level in quality.  The big risk for 1.0 is to bite
off more than we can chew.  If 1.0 is seen as reliable but small, then
people will look forward to the expanded 2.0

We also need to do some serious fact checking.  I just looked at the
page for the year 1237.  We show 11 items.  The book "The Timetables of
History" has only 3 items.  Two of them we didn't have.  We had an error
in the one that we did include.  (The Mongols invaded Russia in 1237,
but not as The Golden Horde since it did not come into existence until
1242)  People will judge the work on the reliability of these obscure
details.  When it is published we should be prepared for a flood of
claims saying that this or that is in error.

We need to consider the way that the work is organized.  Since Wikipedia
is not paper we have not had to deal with most of the exigencies of a
paper encyclopedia.  A seemingly simple issue, such as should all
articles be in alphabetical order, can become a significant one.  We
have well over 2,000 year pages that are worth including, but not
alphabetically.

Ec