[WikiEN-l] Re: Print edition

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Thu Feb 26 21:57:11 UTC 2004

mapellegrini at comcast.net wrote:

>First, let me say that the idea of a printed version of Wikipedia is *GREAT*
>
>I'd like to make a modest logistical proposal for the print edition. I think
>that each article, in addition to having an associated talk page, should have
>an associated "Wikipedia 1.0" page - a page containing a print-encyclopedia
>worthy summary. This is important, because a printed encyclopedia should
>contain no web links, or internal links, but we don't want to remove them from our articles either. Some longer articles need to be shortened for the print version as well. I think this is the most workable way to do it.

This is an important point I'd been meaning to bring up: if at all
possible, it'd be nice if people would avoid doing things like
non-obvious piped links, where knowledge of the fact that a particular
word is linked is necessary for the sentence to make sense, as these
translate very badly to print, and usually would have to be reworded.
Plus it's actually easier to read on the internet too if you don't have
to mouseover the link to find out what exactly is meant by an oddly-used
term.  Things like "more details are available [[Another
article|elsewhere]]." are the most obvious cases (reword to "see
''[[another article]]'' for more details), but there are plenty of
others as well.

-Mark