[WikiEN-l] Re: Print edition

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu Feb 26 21:10:47 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> I've been approached by a major publisher about the possibility of
> working with us to producing and publish a print edition of Wikipedia.

> One goal would be to have something ready for market by October 1st,
> in time for the holiday gift season.  I'm unsure of how early before
> that *we* would need to be ready.

I suppose what we most need for this is a system whereby we can mark
articles (rather: specific article revisions) as "ready for print".

For now, I think we can do something similar (or perhaps even identical)
to "Featured Articles" (formerly "Brilliant Prose"), except of course
making it clear that this is for a print encyclopedia. Ideally, we
should keep a running total of the number of articles and the total
number of bytes in them as we build up this list.

So, someone wanna start [[Wikipedia:Articles selected for print]] as
well as [[Wikipedia:Print candidate articles]] (or [[Wikipedia:Vote for
inclusion in print]] or whatever)?

Timwi