[WikiEN-l] Re: Vigilantism or due process (was: Plautus)

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 18:10:20 UTC 2004

I vote against

It is not one admin who should decide that
The community should
In case of urgency, there should be a poll, and if say 80% agree, the
guy is temp banned by a sysop

A sysop is not there to take decision for the rest of the community, he
is there at the service of the community. If the community widely wishes
a temp ban, a sysop will appropriately act as the community wishes.

If a sysop is allowed to unilateraly, temporarily ban of user, free of
any later accusation, I ask that

* from now on, no person is made sysop with less than 100% agreement
from the community
* that any sysop time is temporary, let's say 6 months. After 6 months,
the sysop should be reconfirmed. If any user oppose a vote to his
nomination, he should not be a sysop any more.

The sysop voice should not hold more weight than another user voice. The
sysop position does not allow to take decisions unilateraly. The sysop
is not a cop, allowed to pull out a gun whenever he feels like it, and
get out of it free.