[WikiEN-l] Re: HOWTOs/Recipes/Instructions and other imperativecontent

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 07:53:04 UTC 2004

Cimon Avaro wrote:
>(pardon my french) The original french encyclopaedists
>made a point of detailing as many crafts and industries
>as possible, down to the most minute detail, with graphic
>illustrations capable of practical implementation. This is
>what made them notable in their own time as spreading
>the industrial revolution.

And the ones in the English tradition have tended to shy away from
instructional material and language.

Again, different cultures will have different ideas about how to best organize
information. The instructional/informative and textbook/encyclopedia
distinction seems to me to be rather prevalent in the English language
tradition.

But different cultures may have different ways of doing things. However, much
of the current situation can be fixed by converting the recipes into
encyclopedia articles (informative voice) and moving the rest to Wikibooks.

Both projects would benefit from this.

I do not favor deletion.

-- mav